Annie turned 6! She woke up and got to open what turned out to be her favorite present... a microphone from Claire.
For her birthday dinner, she requested happy face pancakes. The girls took so much time making their faces, and when Annie was done, she just couldn't bring herself to eat her new friend! I finally talked her into eating a "cheek"!
A funny Annie story:
A few days ago, Annie told me, with a very worried look on her face, that her music teacher at school said bad words. She was trying not to cry. I was trying not to look too mortified. I asked her what word it was that was so bad, and she whispered "chi chi" (chee chee). Annie knew this was a very bad word, because Steve had heard her and Claire saying it just being silly a couple of months ago, and explained to them that it was a vulgar term in Spanish. Apparently, it is a nasty term referring to women’s breasts. He told them that it was a word bad enough that if they used it again their mouths would have to be washed with soap. That was the end of that, and we hadn’t heard it since. I can imagine Annie’s horror, as her Music teacher, who she loves, used it daily. I started asking her all about her music teacher of course… it went something like this;
Mom: Does she say it a lot?
Annie: Yes, every day.
M: Is she talking about something when she says it?
A: Yes, something she holds
M: Like an instrument?
A: I don’t think so
M: Maybe it’s and African instrument or something with a funny name, sometimes words can mean two different things.
A: Maybe... it’s flat like paper.
M: Let’s play a game, you be the teacher, I’ll be the child, and you show me exactly what happens, and what she says when she uses that word, you won’t get in trouble for saying it just this once.
A: Ok! (in heaven at the thought of this game) "Good morning boys and girls, I’m so glad you came to music class! Now, sometimes I can’t remember all of your names, so I have to look at my chi chi!"
M: (laughing hysterically) oh my sweet Annie, she said cheat sheet!
A: what’s a cheat sheet?
Needless to say, after I explained, she was pretty relieved! Bless her for being so innocent!
Mom: Does she say it a lot?
Annie: Yes, every day.
M: Is she talking about something when she says it?
A: Yes, something she holds
M: Like an instrument?
A: I don’t think so
M: Maybe it’s and African instrument or something with a funny name, sometimes words can mean two different things.
A: Maybe... it’s flat like paper.
M: Let’s play a game, you be the teacher, I’ll be the child, and you show me exactly what happens, and what she says when she uses that word, you won’t get in trouble for saying it just this once.
A: Ok! (in heaven at the thought of this game) "Good morning boys and girls, I’m so glad you came to music class! Now, sometimes I can’t remember all of your names, so I have to look at my chi chi!"
M: (laughing hysterically) oh my sweet Annie, she said cheat sheet!
A: what’s a cheat sheet?
Needless to say, after I explained, she was pretty relieved! Bless her for being so innocent!
Over the last year Annie definately made us laugh, learned to ride a bike with no training wheels, lost her first tooth, tied shoes, reading, writing, handstands, cartwheels and back walkovers, first day of kindergarten, *sniff*. We look forward to another year of "firsts" with this sweet girl!
She got to have a party with some of her friends. She is such a little fish, it had to be a swim party.
The Birthday "cake".
Claire loved the "kiddie pool".
Such a great time!








No comments:
Post a Comment