I remember this picture like it was yesterday. We were in hospice, about a week before Dad died. It was also the week we had three members of the seventy visit Dad; Uncle Dave, Elder Cardon, and Elder Anderson. It was a special day. Dad was heavily sedated and wasn't very responsive. When Wilford came to Dad's bedside, he took his hand and said, "Ben, it's Wilford. I sure love you." Dad signaled that he wanted up. He stood with assistance and held out his arms. Wilford came to the side of the bed and they embraced. Dad, would not sit down until Elder Anderson did. Then unfolded a beautiful, precious exchange. We sat spellbound, tears flowing freely.

Last week Elder Anderson called Mom and said, "Lori, I have been given the assignment to speak in general conference and feel impressed to speak on Hope. I'm calling to ask permission to use an excerpt from a posting on the care pages." It was telling about the night Dr. Runfola came into the hospital room and announced that there was nothing more that could be done. Dad was sitting on the side of his bed. When the doctor was walking out of the room, Dad turned to all of us (who were sitting around his bed crying) and said, "Is there anyone in this room who has a problem with the plan of salvation?"
Elder Andersen who is on a six year assignment to the Dominican Republic shared that he had just been in Haiti. He shared of witnessing these people there who come to church each week happy and smiling and yet, "they have nothing, absolutely nothing except faith in Christ.." He told mom that he has come to understand that the way to have hope is to BUILD FAITH. He said, "I believe we will each come to know sometime in our lives that circumstance does not create happiness. Faith is the builder of hope." So Inspiring. We in the Richins home vow to be a more faithful, more hopeful, and a more happy family.
4 comments:
This is beautiful. I love your dad.
Oh, Liz. I love you so much! What a special moment in a time of trial! I miss you and your influence!
What a great story, I'm even more excited for general conference!
That's so awesome Liz! How do u know all these General authorities? Faith is what I'm trying harder for everyday! Love u Lizzy:-)
Post a Comment